pretty in pink vegan

pretty in pink vegan

Saturday, November 30, 2013

So Many Leftovers

  If you are like me you still have a ton of Thanksgiving leftovers and there are only so many days you can eat the same thing over and over again. Cassi is never one to waste food but what is a girl to do? The answer make pot pies!

  My cookbook collection is growing rather nicely, so I skimmed through them to find a pot pie recipe. After thumbing through about 5 books I said screw it. I have a decent grasp on what flavors go together and what I need to make this happen, so I can do this without a cookbook to guide me. So off to the store to grab a few odds and ends.

  I was itching to use my new cupcake tin and since my household only includes myself, Keithon and our newest family member Hollywood, there was no reason to use a standard pie tin for the pot pie. I also decided against a pie crust because well we remember what happened last time right, so I opted for good old biscuits from the tube. Yes they are filled with all types of extra madness but they are fast, tasty and vegan. (I still read the label just in case)  Now opening biscuits scare the bejesus out of me because of that pop, I always ask others to do it for me or I just don't buy them. This time they opened, on their own, inside my new canvas tote. Great, but hey at least I didn't have to anticipate that dreaded pop.

I love these because they are small, neat and you don't need a fork to eat them.

Ingredients

1 cup carrots
1 cup celery
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup soy milk
1 cup cubed potatoes
1 cup chopped unturkey
1 tbsp fresh dill
1tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can of biscuits
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Crushed red pepper (optional)

Heat olive oil in sauce pan, then add vegetables and dill. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove mixture from heat and set aside. Combine cornstarch and broth in a small bowl stir whisk with fork until lumps are gone and set aside. In another pot, heat soy milk (do not let it boil, bad things happen if you do) slowly pour in broth and cornstarch mixture stirring constantly on low heat. Add veggies while slowly stirring mixture, the potatoes will help thicken the sauce. Once you have the thickness you're happy with, add the unturkey, stir to coat and remove from heat. While that is cooling, dust a surface with flour. Open the biscuits, separate and roll out until thin. You want them thin but not too thin. Using a 3 inch circle cutter, cut out as many as you can. ( I was able to get 7 out of the dough) Roll the cut circles just a bit more, just so they fit in the bottom of your muffin tin and around the sides. They don't have to touch the rim. With the remaining dough cut out enough 2 inch circles to place on top. ( if you start to run out of dough gather the scraps into a ball to roll out again.) Using a 1/4 measuring cup slowly pour the pot pie mixture in your dough cups. Do not over fill. Finally place your top on and gently press together. Its ok if a little of the sauce comes out the top. Bake for 9 to 15 minutes or until done. You know your oven better than I do. Once baked and still warm smear a little earth balance on top, just cause.

You can use whatever leftover veggies you want if carrots and celery aren't your thing. These were just my vegetables of choice. I love kale so I paired mine with an avocado and kale salad. Keithon is normally in charge of making this dish and every time I make it, it always lacks the bit of something. I'm sure it just taste better because my booger bat made it. ( yes I call my child that, that is one of his many nicknames) So don't let those leftovers go to waste, create something new and fun. I still have plenty of leftovers so PLEASE share your leftover ideas with me.

4 comments:

  1. Such adorable little pies. Sadly we have no vegan biscuits in a can down here, that go pop or otherwise, because that would make these little bites so easy!
    (In fact, if you asked for a biscuit in Australia you would get a cookie! Though I find American-style cookies to be softer compared to our biscuits.)
    But I will have to remember this for my Christmas leftovers, even if there is some pastry making involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that sucks! So you don't carry the Pillsbury brand of pre-made dough? This makes me want to vist Australia just so I can go to the grocery store and see the differences.

      Delete
    2. Definitely no Pillsbury anything!
      Our supermarkets are slowly improving, but nothing like what you have in the US. When I came home from the US after my first trip there in 2011 I pretty much stood in my local supermarket quietly sobbing because the difference in product availability is so great! Thank goodness for local vegan businesses and importers! ;)

      Delete
  2. We also like to make chicken ala king subbing turkey (vegan of course). Basically a cream sauce with mushrooms, peas, pimientos and turkey over biscuits. We add a dash of nutmeg to the sauce, too. There's always the standard soup or chik'n & dumplings (using turkey).

    ReplyDelete

Comment. It makes me feel pretty when you do. Tell me what you like or what you didn't like.