pretty in pink vegan

pretty in pink vegan

Monday, March 03, 2014

Budget Grocery Shopping

 Some of you know that I have put myself on a spending freeze. It has gotten to the point that I cut off my debt card so I can't swipe it or buy anything online. My will power sucks. On some no spend challenges they say you only have 5 or 10 a week to spend on groceries but I have a 10 year old boy and he has to eat so I made my grocery budget $15 bi weekly. So Friday morning when I got paid I pulled $30 out. Saturday morning I took stock of the pantry and fridge to see what it was that I truly needed and set off to the store. I don't know why it was so scary to go into a store with a budget, I do it all the time. I guess it was the lack of a safety net that scared me.

I normally go to four grocery stores to get my shopping done but I knew that with a $15 budget Whole Foods sadly was out as well as Kroger so I settled for Cash Savers and the Viet Hoa. I shop at Cash Savers for my produce because its cheaper. When produce are close to sale by dates they mark them down.... drastically. One a good day I can get my mushrooms for 99 cents and other produce for 49 cents. Last week I got a BAG of blood oranges for $1.08. You can't beat that.

I go to the Viet Hoa for the same reason the produce is super cheap. There reason for cheap produce is because their traffic is so heavy and they stock only in season produce. I can get cilantro 4/1.00, limes 10 for $1 and roma tomatoes 79 cents a pound. Plus they stock all the Asian foods I need. Check out my receipts. I did go over my budget by about 27 cents but I can make that up next week.


Check out my haul. I was impressed with all the food I was able to get. I did buy on impulse items. I'm still not sure what I am going to do with it. Its an apple crumb topping. Hey I'll figure it out later.


That bag of green beans cost me 49 cents and the carrots 55 cents!! Crazy right. Since I took stock of the pantry before I left I saw that we had black beans and tortillas so I decided on DIY burritos. 


My post may be a little limited due to the fact there will be a lot of leftovers and I am working on a new project. I will have a big announcement in about 2 weeks so wish me luck. 




6 comments:

  1. Good luck and nice haul! I don't think I've ever seen mushrooms under 1.99 here or limes any cheaper than 4 for a dollar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of shit for $15! I'm lucky to make out of a grocery trip without spending $100 ... and that's just for me for 2 weeks. I have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. site about shopping

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have raised an important issue..Thanks for sharing..I would like to read more current affairs from this blog..keep posting. www.primarkonlineshoppers.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go to the Viet Hoa for the same reason the produce is super cheap. There reason for cheap produce is because their traffic is so heavy and they stock only in season produce. I can get cilantro 4/1.00, limes 10 for $1 and roma tomatoes 79 cents a pound. Plus they stock all the Asian foods I need. Check out my receipts. I did go over my budget by about 27 cents but I can make that up next week. www.buyrealiglikes.com/buy-instagram-likes-for-sale

    ReplyDelete

Comment. It makes me feel pretty when you do. Tell me what you like or what you didn't like.