pretty in pink vegan

pretty in pink vegan

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Veganize This!

  I love when I see non vegan recipes on Facebook, why you ask because it gives me the chance to veganize it and show my Facebook friends that I can eat the same things they do, with a few modifactions of course. A few weeks ago my friend Misti posted a recipe of Spahetti Squash Lasagna Boats on Facebook and my comment was "Now you know I have to veganize this!" Sunday I went to find the recipe on her wall and it was nowhere to be found but never fear she found it and posted it to my wall. A lot of recipes on facebook are Pinterest posts and what not but this recipe comes from Gina Homolka, the creater of the website Skinny Tastes. She takes recipes that she finds and makes them Weight Watcher's friendly. She even has a section of Meatless Monday dishes!!!

  This recipe is pretty easy to veganize. All I had to do was sub the sausage for Tofurky and the cheese with Dayia. When I made the dish I use my trusty Tofu as ricotta mixture but after having it on the dish I decided it was better without it. See also I've never had Spaghetti Squash before because I don't like regular Squash but Spaghetti Squash has won me over. I love it because it is crunchy instead of mushy. I can't wait to try this veggie in different recipes. This dish is a little time consuming so plan ahead before making it or just use the microwave like I did. I never use my microwave to cook things but today I gave it a go because I was pressed for time. I.E. Keithon was hungry. ( We only use the microwave to defrost things. I'm surpised the damn thing still works, its almost 8 years old and cover in rhinestones) I also included a link to the Omni Version just so you can see the orginal and check out her other recipes.

Spaghetti Squash Sausage Lasagna Boats

Ingredients:

2 medium spaghetti squash
salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1 tbsp chopped parsley (or basil)
3/4 cup Dayia mozzarella cheese

For the sauce:

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tofurky Italian sausage (chopped into small pieces)
14 oz (1/2 can) crushed tomatoes
salt and fresh pepper, to taste
2 tbsp chopped basil
1 Bay leaf

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and membrane. Season lightly with salt and black pepper; bake about 1 hour, or longer if needed on a baking sheet, cut side down. 
If you prefer the microwave, cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and fibers and place on a microwave safe dish and cover. Microwave 8-9 minutes or until soft.

In a large deep sauté pan, heat oil and add onions and garlic; sauté on medium-low for about 3 to 4 minutes, until soft. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up into smaller pieces until browned and cooked through. When cooked, add the crushed tomatoes and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Add the bay leaf and cover, reducing heat to low. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, then add in fresh basil at the very end.

When spaghetti squash is cooked, let it cool for about 10 minutes keeping the oven on. If you microwaved this, preheat the oven to 400°F.When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to remove flesh, which will come out in spaghetti looking strands reserving the shells. Drain the squash on a paper towel to soak up any excess liquid, then toss with half of the sauce. Place the spaghetti squash back into the 4 shells and place on a baking sheet.

Top each with remaining sauce and 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes or until everything is hot and the cheese is melted.


  Keithon and I loved this dish. We almost had a Royal Rumble over the last one. Yes, I will fight my 10 year old over the last serving of food. Its how we roll. The brawl was averted we split the last one in half and lives were spared. I paired the boat with Garlicy Kale from Whole Foods deli which is my second favorite version of Kale. I would have made it myself but my food processor is broken and I have yet to replace it. So if you have avoided Spaghetti Squash like I have PLEASE try it. It is so different from normal squash and soooo good.

4 comments:

  1. What does this garlicky kale consist of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale of course and a sauce of garlic, apple cider vinegar and sesame paste. If you google whole foods garlicky kale recipe you will find it. Its really easy.

      Delete
  2. You don't like squash???!!! For shame, lady. For shame. But this looks really good so I'll forgive you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this type of squash (now) but not the other plain kind.

    ReplyDelete

Comment. It makes me feel pretty when you do. Tell me what you like or what you didn't like.