pretty in pink vegan

pretty in pink vegan

Monday, February 24, 2014

My Last Hoorah

If you know me personally , you know that mama LOVES to spend money. I couldn't explain why maybe I just like the ability to obtains things without having to look to someone else. Today I checked my Japan fund and it is below the level I set for myself. ( Hush it Bianca) So I have now put myself on a spending freeze. A part of my soul has died. By spending freeze I mean that Cassi can not buy anything extra and that includes my grocery bill. That will also be going to the straight basics. It is a scary thought but if my little ass is going to get to Japan COMFORTABLY I need to reel the spending in now. I feel like daddy just cut up all my credit cards when I think about the things I am letting go of. No manicures, social club, bars, Hulu, shoes and sadly no dinning out. OH LAWD JESUS TAKE ME NOW.  Now I am able to continue these things if my awesome friends treat but I would never ask them to do that and it would be very hard for me to accept the gesture. Lucky for Keithon and I we were able to go to brunch Sunday at DeJaVu. That brunch cost me a week's worth of groceries. That is the main reason for the freeze. A large chunk of my disposable income goes to dinning out.

 DeJaVu has been open for quite awhile but I haven't had a chance to check out the new location on S. Main. Since the weather was super nice Sunday Keithon and I parked the car and took a stroll downtown instead of parking super close. The second DeJaVu is AMAZEBALLS. It is bigger and the outside brightly colored, in true New Orleans colors. I love it. The second wonderful thing about them is they have a half and half menu. To my knowledge there are only 2 half and half sit down restaurants in Memphis and by half and half I mean there is a meaty side as well as a vegan side and the vegan side has just as many options as the meaty side. I love this because it makes dating sooo much easier. (yeah I've decided I'm going to continue to date)

 Sunday's Brunch did not disappoint. I was in heaven. Check out the spread. There was a HUGE salad. I fell in love with the bowl, I need one of these in my life. There was also cabbage, collard greens, roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes.



There were also two proteins to choose from, a mock chicken salad and mini veggie burgers with rolls. I feel in love with the mock chicken salad. If my vegan senses serve me correct it is a tempeh based salad. Once I am off this spending freeze I will crack that recipe. It was creamy with just the right amount of spices there wasn't a heavy "mayo" taste to it. ( I have always hated eggs and anything egg based it stinks and tastes gross) Now as far as the veggie burger go I can't quite place what it was mainly because I was super focused on the mock chicken salad but it was tasty none the less.



I behaved myself calorie wise but I did go back and make myself a mock chicken salad salad. It was just that good. I even indulged and ordered the New Orleans Big Shot. I had no clue what it was and it turned out to be a pineapple soda that was 130 calories a serving and the bottle held 3 servings so needless to say I shared with Keithon and spread the rest out during the day.




I can't wait until I break my freeze and am able to go back. I went a little too early because I was really hoping to hear Tonya Dyson perform during the brunch but it turns out that her set doesn't start until 2pm and Keithon and I arrived a little after 12 noon. If you haven't heard Tonya perform and you are in the Memphis area PLEASE  go check her out she is AMAZEBALLS  and fits right in with the DeJaVu vibe. 

Now please excuse me while I mentally prepare for this undertaking that is about to happen. One the drive home from work I kept seeing billboards and street signs for all types of things I want to do and I started to think about all the things I have to let go of until at least April but this trip will be so worth it. I broke the news to Keithon that we ( I ) were not spending any extra money and we ( I ) would only be spending $20 every two weeks on groceries so no eating just to be eating. His response "so that means we can't eat out?"  What can I say the boy is spoiled. Until this freeze is over I will be a slightly deprived diva so if you love me send me wine, blocks of extra firm tofu, or gift cards to Diva Nails or at least go check out DeJaVu and think about me as you eat. 







4 comments:

  1. i just wanted to say i really like your blog! i've been a vegan for years and used to live in the vegan mecca that is portland, but just moved to the south (and i am so glad). i love hearing about other vegans in the south! keep on keeping on, and good luck with the spending freeze - i have been there, it is no fun. it'll be worth it when you get to japan!

    xo
    meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading!! Yeah this morning I was digging around in my purse for loose change. I have 4 bucks I am trying to decide if I should buy bean sprouts and tofu, play pinball or buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best lol.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I didn't know they had a brunch buffet. I've only ever gone for week day lunch, and there's no buffet then. I must check this out! Also, that chicken salad is made with TVP! :-) It's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the brunch is like 22 bucks. Please excuse me while I Google TVP. Oh crap as soon as I typed it I realized what it was. Textured Veggie Protein. Good thing I'm pretty.

      Delete

Comment. It makes me feel pretty when you do. Tell me what you like or what you didn't like.