pretty in pink vegan

pretty in pink vegan

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hummus Two Ways

A few weeks ago I asked Keithon what he wanted me to up from the grocery store and he requested hummus. I told him nope we are no longer buying hummus, I will show you how to make it. Plus I wanted to test out my new food processor. As vegans hummus is always what people want to feed us at parties and get togethers. Now don't get me wrong hummus is great but it can get a little boring, so I decided to spice things up by using two of Keithon's favorite flavors. My baby loves avocados and Sriracha. He gets his love of spice from his mama. I would let him eat pickled jalapenos when he was little.

  So Saturday morning I wrote down the recipe for him and placed all the ingredients on the counter so he could get started. Hummus is so simple to make we already had everything in the pantry we needed.


 I love the fact that my son enjoys being in the kitchen plus I REFUSE to raise a man that doesn't know how to cook. 

Here is Keithon juicing the lemon.

I let measure and add everything in the food processor and blend it but because processor blades are super sharp and my child is extra clumsy. ( just like his mama) I scraped the hummus out. Keithon asked to see my phone and unknown to me he snapped this picture of me. Thankfully he did not get  a face shot. Don't you just love my cupcake robe? Sexy right?


Just in case you have never made hummus here is the recipe. 


  • 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans

  • 1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas

  • 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini

  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • Preparation:

    Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

    Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.

    Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional
    ).
    Once we had our basic hummus the fun began. We spilt the mixture in half and in one half Keithon added half of an avocado and we put it back in the processor to combine until smooth. We didn't needed the food processor for the Sriracha. We added 2 Tbsp to the mixture and stirred until combined.


    I also made a two batches Sunday to take to a potluck at Five in One Social Club hosted.
    It's also getting pretty sad in my house to the point when when I tell Keithon that food is ready he will ask if I've taken a picture before he grabs his food.  Hey what's a child to do when he has a mom that blogs. Of course Keithon loves the avocado the best and I love the Sriracha one. Next time I am going to add a bit more Sriracha just to see if I bring more of the red out and the heat. I'm really curious to see what other flavors I can incorporate into the hummus. I promise I won't try Cookie Butter. Ok maybe I will but I'll let Keithon taste test it first.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Comment. It makes me feel pretty when you do. Tell me what you like or what you didn't like.