pretty in pink vegan

pretty in pink vegan

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Soup's On!

 Now if you have been reading my blog for awhile you may have read that Keithon hates soup. So when I suggested soup for dinner I was shocked when he said ok. I think it was because he was feeling a little under the weather. I love soup and I'm pretty sure I could eat it 7 days a week without getting bored. Plus the weather in Memphis has been less than warm so soup is awesome for dinner.

 So that night I wanted to try a different soup combo. Plus since Keithon agreed on soup for dinner I wanted to make sure that I added all of his favorite ingredients. We love spicy food in this house so I knew to start with the Tom Yum base I picked up at the Viet Hoa. Normally Tom Yum is a a tomato, seafood and lemongrass stock but this base is vegetarian. I have tried a canned version and it was crap. I had to add so much to it, it was just a waste so I enjoy this base so much more. Plus it last a lot longer and that brings my soup lovin heart joy.


 I still have a bit of my Match Meat Crab left. (I'm am hoarding it, it's an online purchase only) Let me tell you this mock meat smells so much like real crab that while I was cooking it it started to make me a little nausea. ( My body is so weird when I have been without something for awhile the smell will start to make me sick.) Aside from the smell it taste and behaves just like crab meat.


  This soup is normally Tom Yum Soup is served with rice noodles but since this is a Keithon soup he requested the buckwheat noodles we had New Year's day. That was fine with me because buckwheat noodles are loaded with protein much better for you than rice noodles. I also loaded it plenty of fresh veggies,  mushrooms, carrots, snowpeas and bean sprouts.


 I knew Keithon wouldn't eat as much as me so I let him use my baby ramen bowl and I stuck with my regular ramen bowl. Another reason Tom Yum Soup was a great dinner option is because it is spicy and the fresh veggies would help knock the bit of a cold out that Keithon had. I know I haven't made Keithon a soup lover but just like everything else it takes baby steps. I'll make a soup lover out of him yet!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a good spicy soup I think Jason may like this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment. It makes me feel pretty when you do. Tell me what you like or what you didn't like.